Superior Site Selection
The flagship HudsonAlpha facility features 270,000 square feet of world-class, state-of-the-art laboratory and office space. The lab spaces are built to the National Institute of Health standards for biosafety, with single pass air and emergency power. A newly opened 88,000-square-foot building provides additional space to biotech companies of various sizes and needs. As a LEED certified location, HudsonAlpha is recognized as best-in-class for building strategies and practices. New construction on the campus is also available.
Cummings Research Park
The 152 acre HudsonAlpha Biotechnology campus is located in Cummings Research Park, the second-largest research park in the U.S., and the fourth largest research park in the world. Home to more than 300 companies and 30,000 employees, Cummings Research Park co-locates Fortune 500 companies with local and international business specializing in a wide range of high-tech industries. From Boeing and Northrop Grumman in aerospace and defense, to companies like Adtran in the engineering and information technology industry, Cummings Research Park is a place that transforms research into business success. Conveniently, Cummings Research Park and the HudsonAlpha campus is only minutes from the Port of Huntsville (Huntsville International Airport and International Intermodal Center) and convenient to I-565, I-65 and the Tennessee River Waterway system.
The advantages available at HudsonAlpha, from leading-edge intellectual talent to superior physical space, provide opportunities for life science companies to grow and expand. The Institute is ideally positioned for growing start-up and early stage companies, as well as for relocating or expanding established companies from outside the Madison County region.
Turnkey and Build to Suit
701 McMillian Way is located on the 152-acre HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology campus, in the heart of Huntsville’s Cummings Research Park. The 88,000-square-foot facility opened in the fall of 2013, with the expansion of an original HudsonAlpha resident associate company. The primary goal was to provide a location that could be quickly modified to tenant specifications with minimal delay.
Click to see the full Turnkey and Build to Suit booklet
All labs are built to specifications for NIH-approved biosafety level 2, and a limited number of labs are rated for biosafety level 3. With continued expansion and new build-outs, HudsonAlpha can accommodate specific requests for optimal space and special requirements.
- Each laboratory is designed to operate negative with respect to the corridor to protect occupants outside of the laboratories.
- Each floor of the facility is equipped with a building pressurization control that ensures that the floor remains positive to the exterior helping the building avoid drafts that plague other laboratory buildings.
- Support labs can be alternated from positive pressurization to negative to accommodate the different functions being performed, as required.
- Each receptacle is on a dedicated circuit, allowing flexibility in the placement of larger equipment. About one-fourth to one-third of the outlets are 208-volt receptacles to accommodate the high concentration of freezers typically used.
- Each lab is on a dedicated circuit allowing independent operation from other occupants’ loads.
- HudsonAlpha has freezer farm space to accommodate up to 216 minus-80 degree units.
The outside air and re-circulated air systems are grouped together to provide back-up and redundancy for the air handling units and to minimize interruptions during servicing. Additionally, occupants in the office portions of the facility have the added benefit of fresh air that exceeds code-mandated minimums.
Configurable security system (software drive) to accommodate limited access. 24/7 security personnel on-site. Magnetic locks, proximity badge readers and indoor/outdoor closed circuit video monitoring are all a part of the HudsonAlpha building.
Meeting Rooms and Common Space
The institute features numerous small and medium sized conference rooms as well as a library and auditorium. High definition video conferencing is available to connect staff with associates working in other locations. A lab classroom is outfitted for distance education programs to originate from the institute. Associate companies have access to these areas at no additional cost.
First-Rate Facility Maintenance and Custodial Services
- Facilities management
- Janitorial services
- Recycling station on every floor
- Material management
- Centralized purchasing of supplies, materials, services and freight
- Centralized shipping and receiving
*all of which are provided to associate companies at no additional cost
HudsonAlpha’s cafe offers a variety of healthy dining choices for breakfast, lunch or coffee breaks. The Cafe features Starbucks coffee, dining specials, carry-out, catering, soup-and-salad bar, and cooked-to-order requests. Open to the public, HudsonAlpha’s cafe offers a convenient and enjoyable location to welcome colleagues for an informal meeting over lunch.