Response to COVID-19
The strength of HudsonAlpha lies in the culture of collaboration and a unique structure that encourages entrepreneurship. That strength is currently being demonstrated through the research and development of diagnostic and treatment tools to combat COVID-19. Companies among those on the HudsonAlpha campus working to combat this disease:
Providing testing for COVID-19 with molecular testing panel that not only detects the virus that causes COVID-19, but also five bacterial pathogens associated with respiratory complications in high risk patients.
Continues to support the advancement of COVID-19 diagnostic testing and vaccine development by providing expert biospecimen solutions, genomic, immunohistochemistry and flow cytometry services.
Developed a technology that could collect the antibodies from patients who have recovered from COVID-19 and produce them in large quantities to then be used for treating patients with active disease.
Developing affordable, non-invasive, routine screening of populations to identify infected individuals including those that are pre-symptomatic and asymptomatic to make workplaces and schools safer.
Operational Status as of : Operating under restricted campus access
HudsonAlpha is closely monitoring the ongoing Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) outbreak. The health, safety, and well-being of our employees, associate companies and campus guests is our top priority. We have issued the following policies and recommendations regarding our employees, associate companies, visitors and program participants:
Use of Face Coverings on Campus
The latest guidance from the CDC recommends everyone wear a face covering when in proximity to others. This is especially important in public settings where other social distancing measures are difficult to maintain and is intended to help curb the spread of the virus by reducing potential exposure by people who are not showing symptoms. (By wearing the face coverings, we are protecting those around us from potential exposure.)
We require anyone working on campus to wear a face mask when in close proximity (less than 6 feet) of others or in any public spaces (entering and exiting the building, conference rooms, hallways, coffee stations, restrooms, café, etc.)
Face masks are available through the regular supply process from the HudsonAlpha stockroom.
For disposable masks:
Building 601 – Dispose of masks in red bin located outside EH&S office in the basement.
Building 800 – Dispose of masks in a red bin located just outside the double doors of shipping and receiving.
Labs – Dispose of masks in existing biowaste containers.
For a helpful tutorial on the proper way to wear and dispose of facemasks, watch this Shareable Science video from Dr. Neil Lamb.
Campus Visitor Policy
- Our buildings are closed to general public access
- All exterior doors of our campus buildings require badge access
- No children are allowed on campus
- Visitors with a business need to be on campus need to contact an occupant directly for building access, and must be escorted at all times
- Hosts are responsible for screening visitors with the following criteria:
- The Anita Loya Cafe is open only to campus occupants (and business-essential escorted visitors) and is providing CARRY OUT ONLY orders
- All atrium seating for the cafe has been removed. Orders will be provided in carry-out containers; no trays or plates will be used. Please remember to follow the signs posted and observe appropriate social distancing (~6 ft) while in line in the cafe.
- Orders for catering will continue to be fulfilled, as long as they meet the criteria outlined by the Governor (appropriate distance/space provided).
All other campus support functions (i.e.; shipping & receiving, janitorial, etc.) remain operational
Remote Work Policy
All HudsonAlpha employees whose job duties permit, are required to work from home to the extent possible.
In cases when employees of HudsonAlpha or Associate Companies need to come to campus, additional steps to enhance social distancing, such as staggering shifts to reduce the number of employees present at a given time, are encouraged.
- All HudsonAlpha-sponsored travel is prohibited
- Personal travel by mass transit or air is discouraged
- Personal travel or participation in social activities should be undertaken with extreme caution and consideration of risk avoidance measures (social distancing, wearing masks, health and well-being of others). See this Shareable Science video for helpful guidance for assessing risk.