Genetic Counseling and Nursing Trainees
Genetic Counseling Trainees
UAB Genetic Counseling Program Collaboration
HudsonAlpha’s genetic counseling team works closely with the University of Alabama at Birmingham Genetic Counseling Training Program faculty and students to provide content, teaching tools and student experiences related to genomic medicine and genetic counseling. For more information about this collaboration, please contact email@example.com.
The genetic counselors at HudsonAlpha regularly serve on genetic counseling student research and thesis committees for projects relevant to genomic medicine and genetics education. See our current and past student research project list below. For more information or to talk with us about working with you on your project or thesis, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Genomic Counseling Summer Mini-Rotation
HudsonAlpha offers a two-week summer mini-rotation for one rising second year genetic counseling student in an ACGC accredited program. The selected student will work alongside HudsonAlpha’s team of genetic counselors and gain valuable insight into the diverse roles genetic counselors can play in cutting edge genomic medicine, research and education. The mini-rotation student is selected through a competitive application process.
A $400 stipend will be provided upon completion of the program. Housing on the University of Alabama, Huntsville campus is available upon request. Travel to and from the Huntsville area as well as local transportation during the rotation are the responsibility of the selected student.
2017 Mini-rotation: July 24-August 4, 5 PM CST
Applications due: January 13, 2017
Notification of selection status: week of January 23, 2017
Experiences will include:
- Genomic counseling at The Smith Family Clinic for Genomic Medicine
- Genomic counseling as part of ongoing clinical research projects at HudsonAlpha
- Observation in the clinical sequencing laboratory and with the bioinformatics team to better understand the wet-lab and data analysis side of genome sequencing
- Hands-on experience analyzing genomic variants for pathogenicity
- Providing education and support to patients and providers participating in Information is Power, a population screening initiative for hereditary cancer
- Attendance at educational meetings and seminars
- Participation in educational outreach activities
Please submit the following materials via email to email@example.com:
- 1-2 page personal statement answering the questions “Why are you interested in participating in this mini-rotation?” and “If selected, what do you hope to get out of this experience?”
- Copy of your current resume or CV
- One letter of recommendation from a Genetic Counseling Program faculty member
You will receive notification that your application is received and complete. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you do not receive this notification.
UAH College of Nursing Partnership
HudsonAlpha, in collaboration with the UAH College of Nursing, provides education and training in genetics and genomics for nurses. Second year nursing students visit HudsonAlpha for a day of hands-on experiences and learning. In addition, HudsonAlpha genetic counselors provide lecture support and faculty training for the UAH College of Nursing to increase the genetics and genomics concepts taught throughout the curriculum. For more information, please contact email@example.com.